Permanent Residence | Castle & Co | Apply as a worker

Apply for the Canadian Permanent Residence under Express Entry or PNPs


Apply as a worker

Choose the right program for your permanent residence


As of June 18, 2019 the Live in caregiver program is closed and will not be accepting new applications, but will still process the ones submitted before the date mentioned above.

To replace this program and in order to allow caregivers to bring their family to Canada, the government has put in place two new pilots that will run for the next five years.

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot assure Permanent Residence, that is why applicants will be assessed for permanent residence criteria before they begin working in Canada. For this reason some NOC codes now require higher levels of education and language.

However, the applicant will first receive their work permit and will need to gain work experience as a caregiver in Canada for the following 2 years, to then be able to continue their application for permanent residence.

LMIAs will not be needed for these two pilot programs, if the applicant is outside of Canada, as the work permit will be an open work permit. However, if the applicant is inside Canada with a work or study permit, a positive LMIA will be needed.

Express Entry: the Express Entry program is a point-based program where candidates create a profile with all of their details such as education, work experience, language ability, etc. The system then gives a score to the applicant’s profile and, based on that number, the candidate may receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence. The higher the score, the better the chance the candidate has of receiving an invitation. The score can increase when a candidate changes, improves, or adds to an aspect of their profile.

Once a candidate receives an Invitation to apply, they will have 60 days to submit a full permanent residency application. Once that is submitted, they must wait for the permanent residence approval.
The candidates that are invited to apply for permanent residency must pay a government fee, mandatory to process the application.


Within Express Entry there are different options through which you may apply:

  • Federal Skilled Worker
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Trades


Provincial Nominee programs (PNPs): they work similar to the Express Entry Program, but now the province that you choose to apply to, will be in charge of the process instead of the federal government like in Express Entry. When applying for most PNPs, a job offer from a Canadian employer is mandatory unlike Express Entry where it is not mandatory but it can be a plus for the application.

Each province has their own parameters and will choose the candidates that are most beneficial for their province.

Applying for a provincial program also restricts you from working or living outside the province that gave you the permanent residence option.

For more information about your particular case, call us and we will indicate the options available to you.


Yes, if you have a valid work permit and your permanent residence is being processed. Or if you have received a non-restricted provincial certificate; you can apply for a bridging open work permit which will also allow you to work while the PR application is being processed.

That depends on your profile. Details, including education and work experience, are different for every person which makes them eligible through different programs. Please call our toll free number to receive a personal assessment and based on the information that you provide, we will give you the options that exist in your case.

Submitting your profile does not guarantee an invitation. We work on your profile to make it the best possible and we will advise you on how you can make it better. However, receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residency will depend on your points and the point totals currently being drawn out of the pool for the different programs.

If you include your family on your application, they will be applying with you and will have to pay the respective fees. It is important to clarify that it can only be spouse/partner, sons, or daughters.

Depending on the program and the individual case, it can vary from these approximate times given:

  • Spouse sponsorships: normally an approximate minimum of 3 months if the applicant has all of their documents in order, but it can take 6 months on average if documents are missing.
  • Express Entry: normally an approximate minimum of 2 months if the applicant has all of their documents in order, but it can take 6 months on average if documents are missing.
  • Provincial Nomination programs: normally an approximate minimum of 2 months if the applicant has all of their documents in order, but it can take 6 months on average if documents are missing.

Processing times always depend on how fast the applicant(s) can provide the required documents. If there are documents missing, the application submission will be delayed until it is fully complete.

It will depend on the program, the country of residence, and the processing times in effect by the Canadian immigration offices at the time the application is submitted. You can find the approximate processing times by clicking on the following link: citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Please keep in mind that these processing times are ever changing. In our experience, these times can generally be summarized in the following way:

  • Express entry: approximately 6 months
  • Spouse sponsorships: approximately 12 month
  • Provincial nomination programs: approximately 6 months to receive the provincial certificate and then approximately 14-17 months for the finalization of the immigration progress.


To find out if you meet the requirements of any Canadian program, you can complete the form below and/or return the in detailed questionnaire for a free assessment and a no obligation quote. You can send this Word document as per instructions within the questionnaire or attach it to the form below.

If you want to be contacted by phone, please indicate your availability: