Certified Immigration Consultants Castle & Co. | Blog

Canada offers many ways to facilitate the reunification of families, allowing them to live together, if you are Canadian citizen or permanent resident check out how to Sponsor your family to Canada.

Sponsor your family to Canada: What you need to know

Canada offers many ways to facilitate families’ reunification, allowing them to live together in Canada if a member is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Therefore, the government established options for married, common-law, or conjugal partners to live together in Canada.

If you are interested in applying for this program, keep on reading! We will give you a simple explanation of what you need to know.

From now on, we will refer to both parts of the application as:

  • The sponsor: a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. 
  • The sponsoree: also known as the sponsored person, a foreign citizen in a relationship with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

This program allows the applicants to live together in Canada in a formal and stable relationship if they are married or have been together for at least 12 months consecutively and have documents to prove it. If the application results in a positive outcome, the sponsoree will automatically obtain Canadian Permanent Residence as well as any dependent children that applied within the same application.

Sponsor your family to Canada

Learn more about the Canadian permanent residence

Find out what you need to get one and contact us to assist you with your application.

It’s essential to be clear that this application bestows a great responsibility as the sponsor will be held responsible for the sponsoree for the next three years after the latter becomes a permanent resident through an undertaking agreement signed with Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you decide to sponsor your family to Canada, you will be held responsible for the sponsoree’s needs, including food, shelter, education, healthcare and more, in the case that this cannot be self-provided. Additionally, if there are children who will accompany the sponsoree to Canada, the sponsor must be responsible for them for ten years or until they reach 25, whichever comes first.

However, many try to apply through this program solely for the benefits, delegitimizing the process for those who want to share a life with their loved ones. Therefore, to avoid fraud, immigration officers are very strict when demanding proof of the relationship’s truthfulness.

Be aware that this application’s main difficulty relies on the number of proofs of relationship that you can provide to the Canadian Government.

If you want to apply for this program, this is what you need to know:

  1. What kinds of relationships can apply?
    Married couples, common-law partners or conjugal partners. The first option must have at least 12 months of continuous relationship supported by evidence that the relationship between the sponsor and sponsoree is genuine.
  2. Is it necessary to be married?
    No. As explained above, it is possible to apply under the common-law relationship or conjugal partner streams. You just need to be in a relationship for more than 12 continuous months and have ways to prove it.
  3. Can my spouse’s children come with me to Canada?
    Yes. The sponsoree’s children from previous relationships can be part of the spousal sponsorship application. They can be included as accompanying or non-accompanying dependents. If the child is accompanying the principal applicant to Canada, he/she will be entitled to permanent residency at the same time. To qualify as a dependent, the child must be under 22 and have never been married.
  4. How to prove your marriage is real?
    Each application and relationship is different. It is necessary to show several categories of proof. These can be through photos, social media conversations, chats, rent receipts, shared insurance policies, proofs from visits like boarding passes or passports stamps.
  5. Common reasons for refusals?
    When immigration officers consider the relationship unauthentic (because the application submitted did not include enough proofs to confirm it), the applications are generally refused. The applicants are forced to start the process from scratch. It is common to send the application without having it reviewed by a professional. This is not mandatory, but it can save money and time if the application is refused or returned. A professional can check for missing or misplaced information before the application is submitted.
  6. Applying from overseas or in Canada?
    Both options are available. If the sponsoree is living in Canada at the time you apply, you can apply to submit a spousal sponsorship application from within Canada and also apply for an open work permit. However, it’s beneficial if the sponsoree does not leave Canada while the application is being processed. For an overseas application, the process is a little more straightforward and will depend on the sponsoree’s country of residence.
  7. Can I apply if the sponsoree already applied for a work permit?
    Yes. If the sponsoree already applied for a work permit, you can apply through an inside Canada application.

We hope this information is useful for your application and can be beneficial for your life. If you have any doubts about the process or want to sponsor your family to Canada, please contact us, and we will provide more information.

Contact us to know if you are eligible to apply under this program