FAQ | Castle & Co. | Certified Canadian Immigration Consultants


We specialize in LMIA applications for employers and work permits for their employees. We also assist with open work permits, permanent residence, spouse sponsorships, student and tourist visa applications amongst others. Get a free assessment of your case by calling and explaining your situation to us. We will discuss with you the best approach for your case.

We are not Immigration Lawyers, we are Immigration Consultants. Whether you choose a Lawyer or Consultant it doesn’t generally change the nature of the services offered. Immigration Consultants learn in detail how the process works and how to make an application stronger, giving the applicant a better chance of approval. However, at the moment of choosing your Immigration Consultants for Canada, make sure they are certified by the Canadian authorities.

Hiring an Immigration Consultant is the best way to apply for any Canadian visa. The application process can change regularly in terms of required documents and specific procedures, and any error in either of these can cause your application to be refused. With the help of an Immigration Consultant, you are less likely to submit an incorrect application, saving you time and money.

We help you filling the forms, we provide representation before Immigration Canada and we keep track of your application as it continues in process with the government.

An LMIA can only be applied for by an employer with a demonstrable labour shortage. An employee cannot apply by himself/herself, it needs to be the employer applying.

The program fees have to be covered by the employer. That includes application fees, plane tickets and health insurance for the employee where applicable and depending on the province.

It depends on the stream, the province and the job position. There is no specific processing time, it can take from a few weeks up to 6 months.

It does not depend on the worker, the employer, or the third party, it depends on the job position and the stream used to process the LMIA.

It can be 12 months or up to 24 months for permanent jobs. For seasonal or temporary jobs, a maximum of 6 months.

It is not mandatory, however it is recommended to have a lawyer that can help the employer gathering the required documents proving the legitimacy of the business.

The LMIA is valid for up to 6 months after it is issued; the employer and the temporary foreign worker (TFW) have that amount of time to apply for the respective work permit. If the TFW does not apply for the work permit before the LMIA expiry date, it is necessary to apply for a new LMIA.

Not always. To apply without an LMIA you have these two options:

1) Apply for an open work permit if you are the spouse of a TFW in a high-skilled position, the spouse of a foreign student, if you have a permanent residence application in process, or if you have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution.

2) Apply for a work permit with a job offer that is classified as LMIA exempt through one of these programs: entrepreneurs & self-employed, intra-company transferees, French-speaking skilled workers, international trade agreements, international youth exchange programs.

You continue with the same legal status as the one that just expired while you wait for the outcome of the application you already submitted. This is called implied status. For example, you can still work in Canada if your work permit expires and you applied for an extension before the expiry date. If you apply for the new permit after the expiry date, you do not have implied status.

Restoration of status means that you basically pay a fine to restore the legal status that you had. For example if you had a work permit that has already expired, you will need to apply to restore your status (this can be done within 90 days of the expiry date) along with applying for the new document. However if your status is still valid, you just apply for an extension. Restoration is only applicable when the status that you had expired.

Applying at the border always represents more risk, so we typically advise our clients to apply online.

As part of our service, we will walk you through this process and send you the proper instructions on how to obtain the police certificates.

As part of our service, we will walk you through this process and send you the proper instructions on how to pay these fees. We give you the option to pay them yourself, or include the fees in our service payments so that we can pay this on your behalf.

The sponsoree can work in Canada only if the spousal application is processed as an inside Canada application rather than outside Canada. When applying for the PR, the sponsoree can also apply for an open work permit, but not before the spouse sponsorship application is submitted.

Yes. If your study permit allows you to work off campus you are only allowed to work 20 hours (part-time) with a study permit. You can work 40 hours (full-time) during scheduled breaks in the academic calendar.

You maintain the same status as the one that just expired, while you wait for the answer to the application you submitted. This is called implied status. For example: you can still work in Canada if your work permit expires and you had applied for an extension before it expired. If you submit an application after it expires, you will not have implied status.

Restoration of status means that you are restoring your status to a legal status that you had. For example, if you had a work permit and it expired, you will apply to restore your status. However, if your status is still valid, you are applying for an extension. Restoration of status only works when the status that you had expired and you are within 90 days of that expiry date.

As part of our services, we will walk you through this process and provide you the proper instructions on how to obtain your police certificate(s).

The sponsoree can work in Canada only if the spousal application is submitted as an inside Canada application, and not an overseas application. The sponsoree would need to include an open work permit application as part of the inside spousal application.

Yes, if the applicant is traveling alone, a letter of acceptance is needed. Only if the parents of the underage applicant already have a work or study permit will the minor not need a letter of acceptance.

Yes, if you have a valid work permit and your permanent residence is being processed. Or if you have received a non-restricted provincial certificate; you can apply for a bridging open work permit which will also allow you to work while the PR application is being processed.

That depends on your profile. Details, including education and work experience, are different for every person; which makes them eligible through different programs. Please call our toll free number to receive a personal assessment and based on the information that you provide we will give you the options that exist in your case.

Submitting your profile does not guarantee an invitation. We work on your profile to make it the best possible, and we will advise you on how you can make it better. However, receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residency will depend on your points and the point totals currently being drawn out of the pool for the different programs.

If you include your family on your application, they will be applying with you and will have to pay the respective fees. It is important to clarify that it can only be spouse/partner, sons, or daughters.

No, but there are alternative programs to help them immigrate. For more information, please contact us and we can provide a free assessment.

We work at the pace of our clients but please bear in mind that the gathering of documents may take time. If there are documents missing, the application submission will be delayed until it is fully complete.

It will depend on the program, the country of residence and the processing times in effect by the Canadian immigration offices at the time the application is submitted. You can find the approximate processing times by clicking on the following link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Please keep in mind that these processing times are ever changing. In our experience, these times can generally be summarized in the following way:

  • Express entry: approximately 6 months
  • Spouse sponsorships: approximately 12 months
  • Provincial nomination programs: approximately 6 months to receive the provincial certificate and then approximately 14-17 months for the finalization of the immigration progress.

You can apply through Express Entry and then be invited to apply to certain Provincial Nominee Programs or you can apply directly to a specific province. Both the Express Entry program and the majority of the provincial nominee programs work on a points system, however, they have different criteria when choosing a profile to be invited to apply. Every province is different though and some provinces, like Alberta, have their own process not based on a points system.

You may want to take into consideration that the processing times between PNP applications and permanent residency through Express Entry are very different. In most cases, PNPs can take up to 17 months and Express Entry 6 months on average after being invited to apply for PR and submitting the subsequent PR application.

If you are already in Canada as a visitor, you may not be able to apply for a student or work permit within the country. You would need to apply at a Canadian visa office outside Canada or from your country of residence/origin.

Yes, our fees are calculated based on a time duration for each consultation through a phone call/ video call. We have set standard durations on the packages described earlier. However, if you would like to extend the time please tell your customer representative in advance.