Permanent Resident Family Reunification | Sponsor your family to Canada

Bring your spouse to Canada as a Permanent Resident



The Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program allows Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their parents or grandparents to live in Canada permanently.

Even though this program only opens once every January and receives a limited amount of applications, it was pushed back ten months this 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic. The first phase of this year’s program starts on October 13 and finishes on November third.

At Castle and Co., we can help you prepare the application package you will need to submit if you receive an invitation to apply. We can also assist you in preparing the final application. Please consider that an incomplete application would be returned to you unprocessed, and you would have to send a new Expression of Interest to sponsor the following year. Errors and omissions can cause delays or the cancellation of your application entirely.

Regroupement familial

This new process enabled, despite the Covid-19 pandemic, will be the only one in 2020 for the parent and grandparent sponsorship program, and it will count with certain concessions due to the context. Immigration minister, Marco Mendicino, informed that a new temporary Public Policy would allow the exemption of the more than 30% of minimum income requirement for 2020 tax year in this PGP. Nonetheless, possible sponsors must still comply with the previous years’ income requirements analyzed by IRCC.

Additionally, the sponsor will sign an undertaking agreement with the Canadian government to make them financially responsible for their family members for 20 years from the moment they enter Canada as permanent residents.

Should the sponsor be residing in Québec, additional conditions will apply. Please check here for further details.


It will depend on the program, the country of residence and the processing times in effect by the Canadian immigration offices when the application is submitted. You can find the approximate processing times by clicking on the following link:

Please keep in mind that these processing times are ever-changing. In our experience, these times can generally be summarized in the following way:

Express entry: approximately six months.

Spouse sponsorships: about 12 months.

Provincial nomination programs: approximately six months to receive the provincial certificate and then about 14-17 months to finalize the immigration progress.

We work at the pace of our clients, but please bear in mind that the gathering of documents may take time. If records are missing, the application submission will be delayed until it is complete.

We can help you speed up the process by fully customizing the official checklist for you and providing specific instructions on how and where to obtain the requested supporting documents. We can also guide you through the forms by explaining tricky questions and by giving you insightful suggestions to help deal with more complex aspects of the process.

As your legal representatives, we will maintain contact with IRCC through the established channels and interpret for you all notifications and requests received from Immigration.

The sponsoree can work in Canada while the application is in process, only if the spousal application is submitted as an inside Canada application and not an overseas application. The sponsoree would need to include an open work permit application as part of the inside spousal application.

Yes, you can apply as common-law partners (as long as substantial proof of having lived together in an intimate relationship for at least 12 months consecutively can be provided) or as conjugal partners (if you can prove that have had a binding relationship for at least one year, but have not been able to live together for reasons beyond your control).

They can be included in the application as accompanying dependent children and receive permanent residence status and the principal applicant (the sponsored sponsor). They will require a specific authorization from the other parent to permanently immigrate to Canada.

No, but there are alternative programs to help them immigrate. For more information, please contact us, and we can provide a free assessment.


To find out if you meet the requirements of any Canadian program, you can complete the form below and/or return the detailed questionnaire for a free assessment and a no-obligation quote.