Permanent Resident Family Reunification | Sponsor your family to Canada

Bring your spouse to Canada as a Permanent Resident

Family reunification

Bring your spouse as a Permanent Resident

We have been accompanying families for years in their efforts to bring their loved ones to Canada. We have learned that empathy with the client and technical accuracy are the best combination in preparing a successful application.

Usually, families are overwhelmed by how many forms and documents they have to provide and may have difficulty understanding Immigration’s technicalities.

We have polished the process and accompanied them through the immigration obstacles and unknowns. Also, there are subjective factors to consider, such as the approval of a spousal sponsorship application that depends on the couple being able to demonstrate a legitimate relationship.

The family reunification program is a priority to the Government of Canada. As a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, you can sponsor certain family members to permanently live with you.

You can sponsor the following family members:

The person you are legally married to.

A recognized marriage certificate is required to apply as spouses.

There are several options to consider for this kind of application, such as the sponsor’s financial situation, the sponsoree’s place of residence, history of the relationship between the sponsor and the person being supported, the sponsored person’s immigration status in Canada, and others.

Please contact one of our customer service representatives to assess your situation.

A common-law partner is a person with whom you have cohabited a minimum of 12 months consecutively in a marriage-like relationship.

The approval of a Common-law partner sponsorship application will depend on the couple demonstrating the relationship’s genuineness.

Please contact one of our customer service representatives to assess your situation.

A conjugal partner is a person with whom you have had a binding relationship for at least one year but have not been able to live together or marry for reasons beyond your control.

These reasons can be related but not limited to immigration barriers, religious reasons or sexual orientation. It must be proven that the couple could not get married or cohabitated for the reasons mentioned above. However, they have enough proof to demonstrate a mutually interdependent relationship.

You can sponsor your child under the age of 22 (or over if they are financially dependent due to a physical or mental condition).

You can sponsor your dependent child, both biological or adopted, to come to Canada if you are a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident. However, if you, the parent sponsoring, were already a Canadian citizen when your child was born, you will most probably just have to apply for a proof of citizenship certificate.

You can sponsor your biological or adoptive parents/grandparents. This program allows Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their parents to live in Canada permanently.

Even though this program only opens once every January and receives a limited amount of applications,  it was pushed back ten months this 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic. The first phase of this year’s program starts on October 13, and at Castle and Co., we can help you prepare your applications.

If you cannot apply for this sponsorship program, but you still want to bring your parents or grandparents to Canada for a longer time, you can bring them for a temporary basis to stay up to 2 years with the Super visa program.

To act as a sponsor, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, 18 years old or older, live in Canada without receiving social assistance, and be able to show that you can provide the basic needs to your family member. If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada already with your family, you can still submit a sponsorship application. 

After the sponsored person enters Canada and becomes a permanent resident, the sponsor will be financially responsible for that person for several years. This commitment’s length will vary according to the familiar tie (spouse/common-law partner, dependent child, or parent/grandparent).


It will depend on the program, the country of residence and the processing times in effect by the Canadian immigration offices when the application is submitted. You can find the approximate processing times by clicking here.

Please keep in mind that these processing times are ever-changing. In our experience, these times can generally be summarized in the following way:

Express entry: approximately six months.

Spouse sponsorships: about 12 months.

Provincial´Nominee Programs: approximately six months to receive the provincial certificate and then about 14-17 months to finalize the immigration progress.

We work at the pace of our clients, but please bear in mind that the gathering of documents may take time. If records are missing, the application submission will be delayed until it is complete.

We can help you speed up the process by fully customizing the official checklist for you and providing specific instructions on how and where to obtain the requested supporting documents. We can also guide you through the forms by explaining tricky questions and by giving you insightful suggestions to help deal with more complex aspects of the process.

As your legal representatives, we will maintain contact with IRCC through the established channels and interpret for you all notifications and requests received from Immigration.

The sponsoree can work in Canada while the application is in process, only if the spousal application is submitted as an inside Canada application and not an overseas application. The sponsoree would need to include an open work permit application as part of the inside spousal application.

Yes, you can apply as common-law partners (as long as substantial proof of having lived together in an intimate relationship for at least 12 months consecutively can be provided) or as conjugal partners (if you can prove that have had a binding relationship for at least one year, but have not been able to live together for reasons beyond your control).

They can be included in the application as accompanying dependent children and receive permanent residence status and the principal applicant (the sponsored sponsor). They will require a specific authorization from the other parent to permanently immigrate to Canada.

No, but there are alternative programs to help them immigrate. For more information, please contact us, and we can provide a free assessment.


To find out if you meet the requirements of any Canadian program, you can complete the form below and/or return the in detailed questionnaire for a free assessment and a no obligation quote.