Permanent Resident Family Reunification | Sponsor your family to Canada

Bring your spouse to Canada as a Permanent Resident



You can sponsor your dependent children, both biological and adopted, to come to Canada if you are a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident. However, if you, the parent sponsoring, were already a Canadian citizen when your child was born, you will most likely just have to apply for proof of citizenship.

You can sponsor your dependent child under the age of 22 (as long as they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner) or older (if they are financially dependent on you due to a physical or mental condition).

Permanent residence applicants have the right to include all their dependent children in their application as accompanying family members. However, their circumstances do not always allow them to do so when applying for Immigration. Should this be your case, and your children are still outside Canada, you can apply through this stream to bring them to Canada as Permanent Residents.

Dependent Child Sponsorship

If you didn’t declare your child at the time you applied for your own permanent residency, you may still be able to sponsor them under certain circumstances.

Either parent, the father or the mother, or both can sponsor their child. However, during the application process, the relationship between the sponsor and the children to be sponsored will be assessed by Immigration Canada to corroborate the claimed relationship.

Should the sponsor be residing in Québec, additional conditions will apply. Please check here for further details.


It will depend on the program, the country of residence and the processing times in effect by the Canadian immigration offices when the application is submitted. You can find the approximate processing times by clicking on the following link:

Please keep in mind that these processing times are ever-changing. In our experience, these times can generally be summarized in the following way:

Express entry: approximately six months.

Spouse sponsorships: about 12 months.

Provincial nomination programs: approximately six months to receive the provincial certificate and then about 14-17 months to finalize the immigration progress.

We work at the pace of our clients, but please bear in mind that the gathering of documents may take time. If records are missing, the application submission will be delayed until it is complete.

We can help you speed up the process by fully customizing the official checklist for you and providing specific instructions on how and where to obtain the requested supporting documents.

As your legal representatives, we will maintain contact with IRCC through the established channels and interpret for you all notifications and requests received from Immigration.

The sponsoree can work in Canada while the application is in process, only if the spousal application is submitted as an inside Canada application and not an overseas application. The sponsoree would need to include an open work permit application as part of the inside spousal application.

Yes, you can apply as common-law partners (as long as substantial proof of having lived together in an intimate relationship for at least 12 months consecutively can be provided) or as conjugal partners (if you can prove that have had a binding relationship for at least one year, but have not been able to live together for reasons beyond your control).

They can be included in the application as accompanying dependent children and receive permanent residence status and the principal applicant (the sponsored sponsor). They will require a specific authorization from the other parent to permanently immigrate to Canada.

No, but there are alternative programs to help them immigrate. For more information, please contact us, and we can provide a free assessment.


To find out if you meet the requirements of any Canadian program, you can complete the form below and/or return the detailed questionnaire for a free assessment and a no-obligation quote.