Skip to content

Call us for FREE Assesment
+1 (866) 518-3147

Work Permit (For Foreign Employees)

Expand Your Opportunities in Canada!

In most cases, foreign workers need a job offer from a Canadian employer to apply for a Work Permit. This process will also require the employer to have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
Even though a job offer is necessary, some positions are LMIA exempt if they classify under one of the following categories:
  Jobs included in an international trade accord such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA): North America, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Korea, and The General Accord on Trades and Services.
  Positions included in an agreement between the federal and provincial governments.
  Positions evidently required by Canada.
  Intercompany Transferees.
  Working Holiday Applicants.

Work Permit Conditions

A work permit process can vary depending on several factors: your job position, your civil and immigration status, whether or not your employer has an LMIA, etc.
For example, if your spouse is already working in Canada in a high-skilled trade, you could apply for an open work permit.
Also, all permits are temporary and have an expiry date. In certain situations, you can apply for an extension or change of status.

Get a FREE Assessment!

We offer an initial free phone call assessment to inform you of the immigration pathways that best suit you.

Closed Work Permit

You can obtain a closed work permit if your employer is willing and able to apply for an LMIA. A positive LMIA means that the government considers that hiring you as a foreign worker will have a neutral or positive impact on the labour market. Your employer will need to justify this need.
To apply for a closed work permit, you will also need supporting documents that prove your educational level and work experience, as well as a detailed job offer letter from your employer. These indicate that you are a worker qualified for the position.
A closed work permit will allow you to only work for the company named on the positive LMIA. The job description will be limited to the tasks outlined in the approved LMIA. If these guidelines are not followed, it can lead to the cancellation of the work permit and the company may not be allowed to submit another LMIA application.
After working for one year as a foreign worker in Canada, it is usually possible (in certain cases) to qualify for Permanent Residence depending on the position, province and other factors.
If you are interested in obtaining permanent residence services, Castle & Co. can help you submit your profile in the Express Entry system.

Open Work Permit

An open work permit grants you more freedom when working in Canada. Normally you can apply without a job offer as it is not a job-specific work permit.

This permit can be regulated in one of two ways:

 Unrestricted: allowing the foreign worker to work anywhere in Canada in any job position.
  Restricted: limited to the job position and/or the province of employment.

This permit can be regulated in one of two ways:

  You live in Canada with your Canadian or permanent resident spouse and will submit a sponsorship application

  You are the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign temporary worker in a high-skilled position.

  You are the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student.

  You are an international student who recently graduated from a qualifying Canadian post-secondary institution.

  You have already submitted your permanent residence application and are at the stage where it is permitted to apply.

  You meet the LMIA exemption conditions

pen work permit expiry dates are tied to other processes. For example, if you are the spouse or partner of a temporary worker or international student (the main permit holder), your open work permit will expire on the same date as your partner’s work or study permit.

Extend Your Work Permit!

You can extend your work permit before your current status expires. If your extension is still in process when your current work permit expires, you will have implied status until your application comes back with a decision.

If you want to extend your closed work permit, your employer will also need to file a new LMIA.

If your work permit has expired within the last 90 days, you might be able to restore your status without having to leave Canada.

For more information regarding your particular case, call us to learn about the options available to you.

Job Seekers

If you are a temporary foreign worker and need a job or lost your job in Canada, you can apply to positions available on our partner foreign worker placement agency’s job board

Frequently Asked Questions

As a licensed immigration consultancy firm, Castle and Co is not only authorized to provide you with advice and guidance. We can also represent you before the Canadian Government as your third party to minimize any errors or omissions with your applications. We work mainly with IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) for any immigration application and ESDC (Service Canada) for any foreign worker-related LMIA application.

Our many years of experience have taught us how to prepare solid applications and communicate effectively and efficiently with government institutions.

Call us or fill the contact form at the end of our FAQ to get a free assessment of your case.

Castle & Co is a consultancy firm that can provide services for the following immigration applications:

– Permanent Residence through Express Entry, Provincial Nominee Programs, or Quebec programs.

– Family Reunification through Spouse Sponsorship (spouse, conjugal, common-law), Parent & Grandparent Sponsorship, Dependent Children reunification, or others.

– Temporary Residence to acquire tourist visas, as well as study and work permits & visas.

– Citizenship preparation for permanent residents who have lived in Canada for more than three years.

– Consultations and expert reviews on your application if you are preparing it on your own.

We also help Canadian employers prepare a solid LMIA application to hire the foreign workers they need.

Call us or fill the contact form at the end of our FAQ to get a free assessment of your case. Call us or fill the contact form at the end of our FAQ to get a free assessment of your case.

We are not Immigration Lawyers. We are Immigration Consultants. Whether you choose a lawyer or consultant, it doesn’t generally change the nature of the services offered. Immigration Consultants are professionals specialized only in immigration-related matters. Lawyers can specialize in any legal area. When choosing your Immigration Consultant make sure he/she is licensed by the CICC.

Call us or fill the contact form at the end of our FAQ to get a free assessment of your case.

Hiring a licensed Immigration Consultant ensures that your case is put forward logically and professionally. The solidity and strength with which your case is translated into an application are key when assessment officers weigh its merits. Also, licensed immigration consultants ensure that your application for any Canadian immigration process is free from errors or omissions.

Immigration laws, regulations, forms, required documents and specific procedures can constantly change. Any mistake can lead to a refusal. With a certified consultant’s help, you are less likely to submit an incorrect or incomplete application, saving you time and money.

Call us or fill the contact form at the end of our FAQ to get a free assessment of your case.

Request a FREE Assessment

We guide, help, and advise our clients on the best way to work, study, visit or immigrate to Canada. We also help employers with LMIA applications and assess permanent residents to get their Canadian citizenship.

Attach a document (optional)

File(s) size limit is 20MB.